The Barber Boost (named due to all the clipping it does) is a simple, single transistor boost pedal with an input tone control, an output level/volume control and a selection of six different clipping options.
While stock values can be used, the board has been designed to allow for experimentation when choosing both the transistor and the clipping diodes for each of the six options.
Standard clipping options are:
- 2x Symmetrical diode clipping options
- 2x Asymmetrical diode clipping options
- 1x Symmetrical LED clipping
- 1x Asymmetrical LED clipping
Any of the clipping options can be omitted which will provide an unclipped, clean boost as one of the options on the six way rotary switch. Optionally, a toggle switch (or even an extra footswitch) can be used to enable and disable clipping.
Improvements made on the v1.1 board include:
- Extra pads to wire up a breadboard to experiment with clipping options before adding diodes and LEDs
- Larger pads for all external wires
- Improved spacing between external wire pads for easier soldering
- Improved hole spacing for input treble capacitor (C3)
- Improved hole sizes for polarity protection diode leads (D1)
- Small layout and spacing improvements
When you buy this PCB you will also get:
- The PCB itself
- Bill of materials (BOM)
- Build instructions document
- Suggested modifications and enhancements